2501 Sara Road
Madison, WI 53711
Recent Writing Activity
Britannica Crosswords, Sterling, 2011.
- Scratch and Solve Encyclopedia
Britannica General Knowledge Trivia, Sterling, 2010.
- Scratch and Solve Encyclopedia
Britannica Arts and Science Trivia, Sterling, 2010.
- Technical Editor, Word Searches for Dummies
by Denise Sutherland, Wiley, 2009.
- Media Reviews Editor, American
Journal of Primatology, January 2004-January 2008
- Author of monthly trivia quiz for Pages, March 2000-
- Professional crossword puzzle constructor of 2,000+ puzzles
in such publications as the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, New York Sun, Games Magazine, Brain Games,
Newsday, USA Today, Simon and Schuster Crossword Puzzle Books, Dell Crosswords
and Masterpiece Crosswords.
Past Writing Activity
- "Midwestern Marathon Trivia," Knucklebones, May 2006
- Constructor of pop culture crosswords for Real Detroit Weekly,
September 2004-September 2006
- Knucklebones, November 2005
- "This ... is .... Ken Jennings"
- "A Passion for Game Design"
- "Book Exchanges on the Web," WAAL Newsletter, Fall 2005
- Co-author of Challenging 30-Minute Crosswords, Sterling Publishing, September 2005
- "The Wisconsin National Primate Research Center Digital Library: Leveraging Technology and the Web to Serve a Worldwide Community": Cynthia K. Robinson, AHIP, Raymond Hamel, Joanne Brown, and Matthew Hoffman, Wisconsin National Primate Research Center
(poster presented at the 105th Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, San Antonio, Texas, May 14-19, 2005)
- Constructor of movie crosswords for FLiCK, 2005
- Co-author of Great 30-Minute Crosswords, Sterling Publishing, 2004
- Puzzle writer for Star Trek Crosswords Books, Pocket Books, 2003-2004
- Author of Academy Awards trivia quizzes, New York Times, 2002-2004
- Constructor of music crosswords for the Experience Music Project, June-August 2002
- Trivia writer for Uproar, January 2001-May 2002
- Writer of the New
York Times Noodle Nudger trivia quiz, January 1996-December 2001
- Co-writer of trivia questions for the Boulder Trivia Decathlon,
KVCU-AM, Boulder, CO, September 2001
- Constructor of NFL crossword puzzles for CBS Sportsline,
August 2000-August 2001
- Writer-presenter of program titled "The Trivia Trove"
at the Smithsonian Institute, July 19, 2000
- Crossword puzzle constructor for Iwin.com, March 2000-March 2001
- Writer of trivia quizzes on women and careers, Ka-Ching Games, Oxygen Media, 1999.
- Judge and writer for University of Colorado Trivia Bowl, Boulder, CO, 1987-93, 1999. Player in same event, 1983-87, winning national championship in 1986.
- Constructor of TV crossword puzzles for
TVNow, an electronic guide to tv programming, 1995-98.
- Editor/publisher of Trivia Quotient, trivia magazine, 1991-95.
- Editor of Primate Library Report: Audio-Visual Acquisitions, 1985-95.
- Host/writer of weekly radio trivia show, WTDY-AM, Madison, WI, 1989-94.
- Creator/writer of Team Trivia Faceoff, an annual multimedia trivia contest at University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1986-91.
- Author of trivia questions for Hormel advertising campaign, WLCX-AM,
La Crosse, WI, 1980.
- Host/writer of weekly radio trivia show, WLCX-AM, La Crosse, WI, 1979-80.
Selected Older Publications
- R. Hamel. The New
York Times on The Web Trivia Quiz Book, Volume One,
Times Books/Random House, 1999.
- L. Jacobsen, R. Hamel and J. Brown. "Internet resources in primatology." ILAR Journal, 38(4): 171-181, 1997.
- L. Jacobsen and R. Hamel, eds. INTERNATIONAL DIRECTORY OF PRIMATOLOGY,
3rd ed., Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center, 1996.
(Now available as a website)
- R. Hamel. "The fine art of cruciverbalism." Creativity Connection 6(3): 4, 1995.
- R. Hamel. "The lure of fish decoys." Wisconsin Natural Resources 19(1): 9-11, 1995.
- R. Hamel. "The origination of 10 popular film/tv characters." Trivia Quotient (21): 8-
- R. Hamel. "Betty Boop." Yesterday's Magazette, p. 20, March/April 1994.
- R. Hamel. "Putting primates in the classroom." The Messenger (27): 10-11, 1993.
- R. Hamel. "Barry Fitzgerald: Master scene stealer." Classic Images (219): 28+, 1993.
- R. Hamel. "Portrait of Jennifer," Classic Images (212): C10-12, 1993.
- R. Hamel. "Ohio beauty: Jean Peters," Classic Images (202): 24 + 46, 1992.
- R. Hamel. "An index to Dr. Seuss:
Characters and unusual creatures, Part II," Trivia
Quotient (5): 2-10, 1991.
- R. Hamel. "An index to Dr. Seuss: Characters and unusual creatures, Part I," Trivia
Quotient (4): 16-20, 1991.
- R. Hamel and D. Hage. "Sharper than a serpent's tooth," The Dragon, October, 1986.
Maintained by Ray Hamel
Last updated: August 11, 2010.
Ray Hamel's Home Page